Lots of exciting news to share!
- In February, I started collaborating with the Henry Art Gallery to develop education programming for gallery visitors. I’ve had the chance to run two really fun workshops for kids and I’m excited for future opportunities. If you have a chance to visit the Henry, do so. Their approach to exhibitions is outstanding—super engaging and dynamic.
- Last month, I joined ten other artists for Short Run’s second annual Trailer Blaze residency. It was an incredibly enriching experience. I worked on several pages of the book and am excited about some new directions for it that I had the headspace to explore while away. Being around such talented, enthusiastic, driven women makes such a difference to my art and outlook.
- Also last month my comic “Sea” was recognized as best comic book by Cartoonists Northwest. The award ceremony recognized tons of great local talent and I felt honored to be a part of it.
- This June, I’ll be tabling at two events. The first is Olympia Comics Festival, coming up on June 4th. And the second is at Seattle Art Museum as part of their opening celebrations for the new Graphic Masters exhibition on June 9th. Thank you to Short Run Seattle—who is curating this mini comix and printmaking fest—for inviting me to be a part of these festivities!
- Even as I have been continuing work on my book, I’ve also been steadily making progress on my new project on whale conservancy. I’m proud of this piece that I did for the Seattle Weekly on contamination of the Puget Sound and its effects on the salmon and killer whale populations. I learned a lot from interviewing Jim Meador and Lynne Barre, both with NOAA Fisheries, and plan to continue the collaboration for a longer piece of comix journalism.
- And finally there is this BIG news: I’m going to Arctic in October 2017! I was accepted to join the Arctic Circle Residency, where I will continue my work on whale and ocean conservancy alongside other artists and scientists. I will be sharing more information about this residency in the coming months.
Thank you for stopping in <3